|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Jalipa coal mine is operated by Barmer Lignite Mining Company, a joint venture established by Raj West Power (49%), a subsidiary of JSW Energy, and Rajasthan State Minerals and Mining (51%) in Barmer, Rajasthan, India.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine in in Odisha, India.
Barmer Lignite Mining Company has been established to operate a lignite mine to supply the proposed 1080 megawatt coal-fired Jallipa Kapurdi power station. The partially commissioned power station is scheduled to have eight 135MW units in Stage 1 with approval being sought for a further two 135 MW units.
Coal supply for the power station
On its website Rajasthan State Minerals and Mining stated that the company was formed to mine "two contiguous blocks viz Kapurdi and Jalipa in the district of Barmer ... Jalipa and Kapurdi Lignite Mining blocks are situated within 20 kms north of Barmer Town on NH-15 and contain the estimated insitu geological reserve of about 466 million tonnes of lignite." (In a January 2012 investor presentation JSW Energy referred to the two coal blocks being developed as two separate mines, which it refers to as Jalipa mine and Kapurdi mine.)
In the presentation JSW Energy stated that environmental clearance for the project had been received from the Ministry for Environment and Forests. However, it stated that land acquisition was "under progress".
- Operator: Barmer Lignite Mining Company
- Parent company: JSW Energy (49%), Rajasthan State Minerals and Mining (51%)
- Location: Barmer, Rajasthan, India
- Coordinates: 25.5138 71.2436 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production: 0.91 million tonnes (2020)
- Coal type: Lignite
- Mining method: Surface
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal India Limited, Annual Report, 2018-2019, accessed March 16,2020
- JSW Energy, "Energising India", Investor presentation, January 2012, page 24. (Pdf)
- Rajasthan State Minerals and Mining, "Barmer Lignite Mining Company Limited", Rajasthan State Minerals and Mining website, accessed January 2012.
- JSW Energy, "Energising India", Investor presentation, January 2012, page 27. (Pdf)