Jellinbah coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Jellinbah coal mine, also known as Jellinbah East, is located 90 kilometers east of Emerald in the Bowen Basin of central Queensland, Australia. The current mine produces 5 million tonnes of metallurgical coal per year and minor amounts of thermal coal.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
- Sponsor: Jellinbah East Joint Venture
- Parent Company: Jellinbah Group has a 70% interest in the Jellinbah operation and Marubeni Coal and Sojitz Coal each hold 15% interests.
- Location: Located 90 kilometers east of Emerald, near Bluff, Queensland and approximately 300 km from the Port of Gladstone.
- GPS Coordinates: -23.406874, 148.95064 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 5 mtpa
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 196 million tonnes (as of 2003)
- Coal type: PCI Coal and Semi Soft Coking Coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: open cut
- Start Year: 1989
- Source of Financing:
In 2019, the Jellinbah East Joint Venture submitted a proposal titled the Jellinbah Central North Extension, which proposed an addition of three mining leases to the existing Jellinbah Coal Mine. The current mine, Jellinbah, encompasses three operating mine areas: Jellinbah Central, operated by Jellinbah Group Pty Ltd (Jellinbah), Jellinbah Plains, a contractor-run operation and Mackenzie North, operated by Jellinbah.
The expansion is expected to increase production by 1 mtpa and extend the life of the mine by 20 years. It will produce pulverised coal injection (PCI) coal and minor amounts of thermal coal within the Rangal Coal Measures.
Articles and resources
- "JELLINBAH COAL MINE," "Jellinbah Group website," accessed June 2020.
- LEIGHTON SMITH, "No public health alert after COVID-19 positive miner's death," "The Daily Mercury," May 27, 2020.
- "Bowen Basin - Operating Coal Mines," "Mining Communities Research Exchange," accessed June 2020.
- "Jellinbah Mine," "Jellinbah Group website," accessed June 2020.
- "CENTRAL NORTH EXTENSION Preliminary Documentation Ver 2," "ARC Environmental Solutions," November 2019.