Kakinada Port is located in the state of Andhra Pradesh on the East Coast of India. The port has total coal capacity of 14 million tonnes per annum.
The Kakinada Port is also the site of a proposed LNG Terminal.
In 2011, news sources reported that the government of India was planning to ramp up coal imports at Kakinada Port to supply coal-fired power plants in the surrounding area. The following year, the Bothra Group and the Business Standard announced that Bothra's KDWP Coal Terminal, with an annual coal handling capacity of 8 million tonnes, would begin operating in 2013.
As of early 2015, Bothra's website still says that the company "is in the process of establishing" the terminal. However, in 2014, Platts listed Kakinada as one of India's coal importing ports and The Hindu reported that coal imports from Indonesia were being processed at Kakinada.
Meanwhile, recent expansion at Kakinada Port has been aimed at LNG imports, with Royal Dutch Shell, GDF Suez and Gail India signing a Memorandum of Understanding for a new 5 million ton per annum LNG import terminal in early 2015, and a separate LNG terminal proposed by US-based VGS and the Belgian company Exmar in late 2014.
According to a 2014 IHS report, the mechanized coal handling facility at the port has a 14 million tonne per annum capacity, after a fifth dedicated coal berth with a 6 mtpa capacity became operational in May 2013.
As of February 2018, Kakinada Port has two berths handling bulk coal: the dedicated mechanized coal terminal at berth 5, capable of handling 22,000 tonnes per day, and a multi-use berth (berth 4) capable of handling 15,000 tonnes of coal per day, in addition to other cargoes such as raw sugar, bagged sugar, and fertilizers.
- Operator: Kakinada Seaports Ltd, Bothra Group
- Location: Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Annual Coal Capacity (Tonnes): 14 million
- Status: Operating
- Type: Imports
- Coal source: Indonesia
Articles and Resources
- "IHS McCloskey Coal Report," Feb 7, 2014, Archived Sep. 2, 2019
- "Massive coal imports at Kakinada Port" The Hans India, October 18, 2011.
- "Kakinada port eyes 50% growth in coal handling" Business Standard, December 25, 2012.
- "Gangavaram, Kakinada ports see 35% growth in cargo" Business Standard, July 4, 2013.
- "Coal Terminal, Kakinada, India" Bothra website, accessed February 2015.
- "KDWP Coal Terminal, Kakinada - East Coast India" Bothra Group brochure, accessed February 2015.
- "Indian April coal imports rise 6.45% on month to 15.9 mil mt: Interocean" Platts, May 8, 2014.
- "Coal from Indonesia reaches Kakinada port" The Hindu, July 20, 2014.
- "Kakinada floating LNG terminal: GAIL, GDF Suez, Shell, sign MoU" The Hindu Business Line, January 16, 2015.
- "AP govt urged to set up second LNG terminal at Kakinada" The Hindu Business Line, September 23, 2014.
- "Kakinada Deepwater Port" Samsara Shipping website, accessed February 2018.
- "Port Layout (map)" Kakinada Seaports website, accessed February 2018.