|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Keyser Mine is a proposed U.S. coal mine in Boswell, Pennsylvania, owned by Corsa Coal Corporation.
The below map shows the approximate location for Keyser Mine in Boswell, Pennsylvania.
Keyser mine is located in Boswell, Pennsylvania, and is in close proximity to Corsa Coal's Shade Creek and Cambria preparation plants.
Corsa Coal completed the purchase of the mining rights for the Keyser mine in December 2012. The mine would work the Lower Kittanning coal seam under about 2,300 acres in Jenner and Conemaugh townships, according to the company. The surface facility of the deep mine complex will encompass approximately 85 acres, while the underground mining area will consist of approximately 7,000 acres. Corsa Coal management expects this project would take approximately 14 months of capital development to get to first coal, and estimates it will require between $20-24 million in capital expenditures to become fully operational.
In spring 2013, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) began accepting public comment on the project. According to a USACE public notice: “As a result of the construction of the surface facilities, impacts to streams and wetlands will occur. Permanent stream impacts of 120 linear feet will occur on an unnamed tributary of Roaring Run due to the construction of two access road stream crossings. Permanent wetland impacts of 1.92 acres are proposed due to construction of various components of the surface facility. The applicant is proposing 2.1 acres of on-site, in-kind wetland mitigation/replacement as compensatory mitigation for unavoidable impacts to wetlands.”
In December 2017, the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection held a public meeting to receive feedback on the Keyser application.
Once this mine begins production, Corsa Coal forecasts approximately 15 years of permitted mine life. The mine was originally scheduled to begin construction in 2019 and operate from the fourth quarter of 2020 until 2037.
- Sponsor: Wilson Creek Energy LLC
- Parent Company: Corsa Coal Corporation
- Location: Boswell, Pennsylvania, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 40.194340, -79.014811 (approximate)
- Status Proposed
- Production Capacity: 570,000 tons per year
- Total Resource: 15,222,864 tons
- Mineable Reserves: 8.3 million tons
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Mine Size: 7,100 acres
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year: 2021 (proposed)
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Future Projects: Keyser Corsa Coal Corporation, accessed November 2019.
- "Corsa Coal subsidiary proposes another mine for Somerset County" Trib Live, Nov. 29, 2017.
- "Coprs seeks comment on Corsa Coal's Keyser deep mine project" Transmission Hub, Mar. 12, 2013.
- Keyser Project Mining Data Online, accessed November 2019.
- Corsa Coal Corp. Investor Presentation: November 2019 Corsa Coal, accessed November 2019.