Magdalla Port is a port located on India's west coast, along the southern bank of the Tapi river in the state of Gujarat. A deep water anchorage is located 10 km southwest from the port. The port is connected with Udhana city GIDC and Pandesara Industrial Estate and the port is connected with Surat by state highway No.66. Magdalla Port is also connected by road and rail with several other towns in the area. Major imports handled by Magdalla Port include coal.
Much of the imported coal arriving at Magdalla Port comes from Indonesia. Magdalla appears regularly as one of India's key coal ports on Platts' summaries of Indian coal import activity, and a March 2017 report from the International Journal of Advance Engineering and Research Development indicates that coal is the only commodity currently handled at the port.
Coal trucks carrying coal from the Magdalla Port frequently spill coal dust along the streets of Surat, India, causing major pollution. Local groups have repeatedly pressured the government to take action to address the problem, but as of November 2020, the issue remained unresolved.
- Operator: Gujarat Maritime Board (GMB)
- Location: southern Gujarat, India
- Annual Capacity (Tonnes): approximately 6.5 million tonnes
- Status: Operating
- Type: Imports
- Coal source: Indonesia
Articles and Resources
- "Magdalla Port" Gujarat Maritime Board website, accessed February 2015.
- "Port of Magdalla" World Port Source, accessed February 2018.
- "Steam coal import data from Indonesia at Magdalla" SeaAir website, accessed February 2018.
- "Weekly coal stocks at key Indian ports rise 0.1% to 15.48 mil mt: Interocean" Platts, January 26, 2015.
- "Case Study of Magdalla, Surat Port" International Journal of Advance Engineering and Research Development, March 2017.
- Activists campaign against coal dust pollution in Magdalla, The Times of India, Apr. 29, 2018
- Residents to move Gujarat HC over coal dust menace, The Times of India, June 19, 2019
- Coal dust harassment in Magdalla endless, The Times of India, Nov. 8, 2020