Mon Valley Coal Mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Mon Valley Coal Mine is a proposed mine in Forward Township, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States.
The map below shows the location of the proposed mine.
The Mon Valley Coal Mine Project is owned by Coronado Coal, a producer of metallurgical coal in Australia and Appalachia. The company is planning a mine, a coal preparation plant, and a rail and barge loading facility on its 979 acres of forest.
According to Coronado’s company filings, work on the project began in 2019 but little has been discussed in public.
In materials submitted to Forward Township in February 2020, the company proposed a mine with a capacity of 2 million short tons of coal each year. The complex would cost around $250 million to develop.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the company paused project work, including drilling core holes and other geotechnical efforts.
The company has secured an environmental permit for a refuse pile, but still needs state and federal environmental and safety permits. In addition, a large portion of the project land is zoned for conservation and for residential development, although there are no homes on it now. The coal company has asked that the township change its zoning ordinance by creating a coal mining overlay district.
On August 18, 2021, the planning commission rebuffed the company's request to change the township’s zoning ordinance and recommended Forward’s board of supervisors reject the project. According to media reports, several hundred people attended the planning commission meeting at Elizabeth Forward Middle School and no one spoke in favor of the coal mine except for the company. Some local residents raised concerns that the fight was just beginning.
- Operator: Coronado Coal, LLC
- Sponsor: Coronado Group
- Location: Forward Township, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
- GPS coordinates: 40.2584, -79.905779
- Mine Status: Proposed
- Capacity: 2 million short tons (1.81 million metric tonnes)
- Reserves: 25 million tonnes
- Coal Type: Bituminous (Met)
- Mining Method: Underground
- Mine Size: 3.96km2
- No. of Employees: 238
- Start Year: 2027
- Anya Litvak, The plan for a large underground mine in Allegheny County has been in the works for years. Now, it's getting its public debut, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, August 18, 2021.
- Coronado Global,SEC Report,2019
- Anya Litvak,'The people don't want it': Coal company's plan for large Allegheny County mine gets fiery response at first public meeting, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, August 20, 2021.