Mountain View Mine
Mountain View Mine is a underground mine located near the city of Thomas in Tucker County, West Virginia.
- MSHA ID: 4609028
- Start Year: 2006
- Operator: Mettiki Coal WV, LLC
- Controller: Alliance Resource Partners
- Location: Tucker, West Virginia, United States
- GPS coordinates: 39.186102, -79.380941
- Production (short tons): 2,075,291(2019), in EIA referred to as Mettiki General (1800671)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Mining Method: Underground
- Equipment: Longwall
- Average No. of Employees: 220-230
- Mine Status: Operating
The mine is operated by Mettiki Coal WV, a subsidiary of Alliance Resource Partners. Mettiki previously operated an underground longwall mine in Garrett County, Maryland - the Mettiki Mine - but operations ceased at that mine in October of 2006 upon the exhaustion of the economically mineable reserves. In July 2005, Mettiki began continuous miner development in the Mountain View mine. Upon completion of mining at the Maryland longwall operation, the longwall equipment was relocated to the Mountain View mine and put into operation in November 2006.
The Mountain View mine produces medium-sulfur coal which is transported by truck either to the Mettiki Mine preparation plant (served by CSX) or to the coal blending facility at Dominion's Mount Storm Power Station.
Medium-sulfur coal produced from two other small-scale mining operations (a surface mine and an underground mine) on properties controlled by Mettiki (MD) supplements the Mettiki Coal production. Unknown what the exact names are and if they are still operating. Another mine that supplied coal to the facility was the Steyer II Mine but it closed down in 2013.
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- West Virginia and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- "Mountain View Mine" msha.gov , accessed July 2020
- "msha data retrieval system" msha.gov, accessed July 2020
- "EIA 923 2019" EIA 923 2019.
- "Coal Operations: Mettiki Coal" Alliance Resource Partners Website, November 2009
- "ARP: Northern Appalachia Mines" Alliance Resource Partners, accessed April 2011.