Nagan Raya power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Nagan Raya power station (also known as the Meulaboh power station) is a 220-megawatt (MW) coal-fired station in Aceh, Indonesia. An additional 2 x 200 MW is planned as an IPP project.
Location (Units 1 and 2)
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Nagan Raya Regency, Aceh.
Background on Plant
The Meubolah power station is a two-unit, 220-MW coal-fired power plant in Aceh Province, Indonesia, owned by PT Perusahaan Listrik Negara (PT PLN). This project was originally referred to as the Meulaboh project.
In 2012, it was reported that the Meulaboh power plant was one of six projects that would be financed via a US$10.09 billion investment by Japan's Sumitomo Corporation: Central Java Power Project (worth US$2.5 billion), a geothermal power plant in Raja Basa (US$650 million), Indramayu power plant (US$1.25 billion), Meulaboh power plant (US$700 million ), a gas storage project (US$4 billion), and the interconnection system between Jawa and Sumatra (US$1.25 billion).
Unit 1 was completed in 2013, and Unit 2 in 2014.
Funding (Units 1 and 2)
In May 2009, a financing agreement for units 1 and 2 was closed. US$181.53 million was provided by the Export-Import Bank of China and PT Bank Pembangunan Daerah Bali. The Export-Import Bank of China's portion of the loan was US$124 million. HSBC acted as financial adviser to PLN.
Description of Expansion (Units 3 and 4)
In April 2015, Jokowi Center coordinator in Aceh, Teuku Neta Firdaus said that PLN is planning to build two additional coal-fired units, with a total capacity of 200 MW. The 2016-2025 long range plan for PT PLN (page 223) includes Nagan Raya #3 as a 2 x 200 MW project in the "pengadaan" (procurement) stage, with completion in 2019 and 2020.
Although the new units are referred to as Units 3 and 4, they will not necessarily be located at or near Units 1 and 2. As of October 2016, it remained unclear whether Units 3 and 4 would be located in Meulaboh, West Aceh, or Nagan Raya.
In May 2017, PT PLN signed a power purchase agreement (PPA) with China Datang Overseas Investment, PT Pembangunan Perumahan, and PT Sumberdaya Sewatama for the 2 x 200 MW expansion. The consortium will set up a special purpose vehicle (SPV) to develop the plant through a build, own, operate, and transfer (BOOT) scheme without guarantee. The plant's commercial operation data (COD) will be mid-2020.
In March 2020, the project's sponsor declared force majeure and stated that development would be delayed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. In March 2020 the PLN Manager in charge of developing Units 3-4 estimated they would be completed in 2024. In February 2021, a PLN representative estimated that Units 3-4 would be operational by 2023.
In May 2019, residents staged a protest and put up a fence that halted work on the Nagan Raya 3 and Nagan Raya 4 site. In November 2019 a group of mothers from the village of Suak Puntong created a roadblock in protest of the dust and coal dust from the plant polluting their neighborhoods.
In May 2019, it was reported that chemicals discharged from the plant were killing fish in waterways in Gelanggang Merak Hamlet and Suak Puntong Village.
On March 23, 2020, it was reported that residents of Gelanggang Merak Hamlet had asked the owners of the Nagan Raya-3 and Nagan Raya-4 plant to stop transporting materials to these plants' construction site as dust from trucks poses a risks to people who have contracted COVID-19.
Two barges carrying coal for Nagan Raya power station Units 1-2 have ran aground on the beaches around the power station, the first in July 2019, and the second in July 2020. Both barges were fully loaded with coal when they were beached. The second barge was still abandoned on the beach in March 2021, 7 months after the inital incident. One observer estimated that 3,000 metric tons of coal had been spilled into the surrounding area.
In October 2021 it was reported that the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) was conducting an investigation into improprieties around the permitting of Units 3 and 4.
In March 2021, a worker at the construction site of the Nagan Raya Unit 3-4 expansion was killed when a steel pile fell on top of him and crushed his head. The police opened an investigation into the cause of the worker's death and the safety protocols in place at the construction site.
In June 2021, a truck driver delivering sand to the Naga Raya Unit 3-4 construction site was crushed between two queuing trucks when one truck unexpectedly rolled backward. He was taken to a hospital, but was declared dead on arrival. A second worker suffered from a broken hand from the same incident. Police again opened an investigation into the worker's death.
Project Details Units 1 and 2
- Sponsor: PT Perusahaan Listrik Negara (PT PLN)
- Location: Suak Puntong, Kuala Pesisir Subdistrict, Kab Nagan Raya (Nagan Raya Regency), Aceh
- Coordinates: 4.1073603, 96.1989402 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Units 1 & 2)
- Gross Capacity: Units 1 & 2: 110 MW each
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service: Unit 1: 2013; Unit 2: 2014
- Coal type: Medium-grade
- Coal source: Kalimantan
- Source of financing: US$124 million in debt from Export-Import Bank of China; US$57.53 million in debt from PT Bank Pembangunan Daerah Bali
Project Details Units 3 and 4
- Sponsor: PP Energi
- Parent: China Datang Overseas Investment, PT Sumberdaya Sewatama
- Location: Aceh province (specific location unknown)
- Status: Construction (Units 3 & 4)
- Gross Capacity: Units 3 & 4: 200 MW each
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service: Unit 3: 2023 Unit 4: 2023
- Coal type: Medium-grade
- Coal source: Kalimantan
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Sumitomo Prepares US$10 Billion Investments For Energy Sector," The President Post, February 8, 2012
- "Chief Secretary of Electricity Sector, Indonesia Department of Minerals and Energy Visiting PLTU Nagan Raya Project" Shaanxi Northwest Power Generation Co., February 2, 2013.
- "Indonesia, Nagan Raya Nad Thermal Power plant" SINOHYDRO, accessed March 28, 2014.
- PLN supplies Coal from Kalimantan to PLTU in Aceh, PT Coalindo Energy press release, 30 Oct. 2014.
- “Electricity Policy Development & Investment Opportunity in Indonesia,” presentation by Ministry Energy and Mineral Resources, Directorate General of Electricity, March 2014
- "Preview of Aceh Power Plant | Transaction | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "Nagan Raya Thermal Power Plant (Meulaboh Power Station), Special Region of Aceh | Reconnecting Asia". ra.csis.org. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "Siapa di Balik Pembangkit Listrik?" (PDF). antikorupsi. 2020.
- "PLTU Tahap II Dibangun di Nagan Raya," Rakyat Aceh, April 5, 2015
- “Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik, PT PLN (Persero), 2016-2025,” Kementerian Energi Dan Sumber Daya Mineral, June 2016
- "PLN Bangun PLTU 400 MW," Serambi Indonesia, 3 October 2016
- "PLN signs power purchase deal with PLTU Meulaboh developer," RambuEnergy, 27 May 2017
- Jadwal operasional pembangkit terganggu wabah corona, ini tanggapan PLN, Kontan, Mar. 8, 2020
- PLTU 1-2 di Nagan Raya sudah Mampu Suplai Arus 150 MW, Serambi News, Mar. 7, 2020
- PLTU 3-4 Nagan Raya ditargetkan beroperasi pada 2023, Antara News, Feb. 10, 2021
- Warga hentikan pembangunan PLTU 3-4 di Nagan Raya, Antara Aceh, May 14, 2019
- Warga Tutup Jalan ke Proyek PLTU 3-4 di Nagan Raya, Aktivitas Truk Terganggu 4 Jam, Serambinews.com, Nov. 14, 2019
- Limbah PLTU Jadi Penyebab Matinya Ikan di Nagan Raya, Rencong Post, May 27, 2019
- Masyarakat minta Pemerintah Stop Aktivitas Pengangkutan Pembangunan PLTU 3-4 Nagan Raya, Aceh Portal, Mar. 23, 2020
- Rino Abonita, 7 Bulan Terbengkalai, Tongkang Terdampar Cemari Lingkungan Pantai Nagan Raya, Liputan 6, Mar. 3, 2021
- 2 Anak Bupati Nagan Raya Bungkam, Usai Diperiksa KPK Terkait Proyek PLTU, Medcom, Oct. 28, 2021
- Henny Rachma Sari, Pekerja PLTU 3-4 Nagan Raya Tertimpa Besi Pemasang Paku Bumi, Korban Tewas di Tempat, Merdeka, Mar. 12, 2021
- Agung Sandy Lesmana, Polisi Harus Usut Pekerja PLTU Nagan Raya yang Tewas Tertimpa Tiang Pancang, Suara, Mar. 14, 2021
- 2 Pekerja PLTU Nagan Raya Terjepit Truk, Satu Korbannya Tewas, Tribun News, June 18, 2021
- Polisi selidiki kasus kematian pekerja di proyek PLTU 3-4 Nagan Raya, Antara News, June 16, 2021