|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Nantong Port is a major river port in Jiangsu province, China. It handles coal.
The port is located along the Yangtze Delta in Jiangsu province.
The port is operated by Nantong Port Group, of which PYI Corporation Limited owns a 45% interest. The port owns a shoreline of 4.2 km and a land mass of 1.5 sq km with 5 major terminals namely Tongzhou Terminal, Jianghai Terminal, Yaogang Terminal, Langshan Terminal and the Container Terminal. They together operate 24 total berths, including 2 berths for vessels of 150,000 tonnage, 5 berths for vessels of 70,000 tonnage, 4 berths for vessels of 50,000 tonnage and 3 berths for vessels of 10,000 tonnage.
The main cargoes handled by Nantong Port Group are coal, iron ore, cement, and steel, among others. In 2009, Nantong Port had reached over 100 million tonnes annual throughput.
According to a 2010 report, coal imports "soared 13 times" to 581,000 tonnes in the first two months of 2010. This throughput over a two-month period suggests that coal capacity for a full year at the port would be approximately 3.5 million tonnes in 2010.
Yet in April 2019, it was reported that the coal throughput reached 13.7 million tonnes in the first quarter of 2019, suggesting that (if this volume was the same throughout the year), the annual throughput/capacity for coal would be 41.2 million tonnes of coal - indicating a much higher capacity than before. However, no coal expansion or new coal terminals seemed to have been built in the years between 2010 and 2019, making this a rough estimate.
- Operator: Nantong Port Group
- Location: Nantong, Jiangsu province
- Existing Coal Capacity (Tonnes): approximately 41.2 million (based on 13.7 million tonnes in the first quarter of 2019)
- Type: Imports
- Sources of coal:
Articles and resources
- "Yangtze Strategy," PYI Corporation Limited Interim Report 2012 (PDF)
- "PYI Corporation" Nantong Port page, accessed July 18, 2011.
- "Coal imports soar in Nantong Port of Jiangsu Province China," COALspot.com, 18 March 2010
- Hu, Xiaoyu (2019-04-17). "Nantong Port's throughput rises 10% in Q1". en.nantong.gov.cn. Retrieved 2021-07-20.