North River mine
North River mine is an underground coal mine in Berry, Alabama, owned by Walter Energy. In March 2013 Walter Energy announced that it had "recently curtailed operations significantly at its North River mine and plans to close the mine nine months earlier than the previously expected end of mine life of 2014."
On March 11, 2011, Walter Energy said it had agreed to buy the North River mine in Fayette County from Chevron. Walter also said it had leased about 75 million tons of Blue Creek coking coal reserves in Tuscaloosa County from a subsidiary of Chevron. Royalty rates are in line with existing agreements, Walter said.
- Operator: Chevron Mining
- Owner: Chevron
- Location: 12398 New Lexington Rd., Berry, AL 35546
- GPS coordinates: 33.545615,-87.611225
- Production: 3,136,564 tons (2007)
- Type of coal: Bituminous
- Mine type: Underground
- Number of employees: 413
Chevron Mining Inc.
116 Inverness Dr.East, Ste. 207
Englewood, Colorado 80112
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Alabama and coal
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Walter Energy, "Report of unscheduled material events or corporate event", March 22, 2013, page 2.
- "Walter Energy buying Fayette County coal mine from Chevron Corp." March 11, 2011.