Oaky Creek coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
Oaky Creek Coal is an underground coal mine, operated by Glencore, producing 7.5 million tonnes of coking coal, near Tieri and Middlemount in Central Queensland, Australia.
The mine comprises two underground longwall mining operations and a coal preparation plant with the coal exported via the ports in Mackay and Gladstone.
The map below shows the exact location of the Oaky Creek mine.
Coal Mine Background
The site started producing coal in 1982 with various phases. Mining Operations at Oaky Creek No 1 ceased during 2017.
On its website former owner Xstrata Coal stated that the mine produces "two premium quality medium volatile coking coals, differentiated on coking properties, for export to Japan, Asia, Europe, North Africa and South America. The difference between the two products is attributed to changes in the coal seam within the OCC [open-cut- coal] mine lease. Coal is transported by rail to Dalrymple Bay (297km) and Gladstone (394km) for export by ship. The remaining mine life for OCC is approximately 32 years."
In 2014 the mine was producing 7.178 million tonnes of saleable coal. Now it produces 15.9 million tonnes of run of mine coal.
Underground mining commenced in July 1989 with longwall operations established at Oaky No. 1 Mine in 1990. Development work for a second underground longwall mine commenced at Oaky North Mine in 1995 and longwall coal was first produced in February 1999. Open cut operations ceased in December 2006.
- Sponsor:Glencore (55%), Sumisho Coal Australia (25%), Itochu Coal Resources Australia (10%) and ICRA OC (10%)
- Parent Company: Glencore
- Location: Tieri, Queensland, Australia
- GPS Coordinates: -23.072256, 148.483994 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 15.9 million tonnes of ROM Coal; about 7.5 million tonnes saleable
- Total Resource: 288 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 48 million tonnes
- Coal type: Medium volatility coking coal
- Mine Size: 17,718 hectares
- Mine Type: Underground longwall mining
- Mine Depth:350 m
- Start Year: 1982
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Glencore coal production bounces back after Oaky North industrial action, Mining Monthly, February 5 2019
- Glencore, "Oaky Creek", Glencore website, accessed 21 January 2020.
- Mining Data Online, "Oaky Creek Mine", Mining Data Online website, accessed 21 January 2020.
- Xstrata Coal, "Oaky Creek", Xstrata Coal website, accessed August 2010.(Unavailable)
- Glencore, "Oaky Creek Fact Sheet", Glencore website, accessed 21 January 2020.
- Lexy Hamilton Smith, Coal Mining Csiro Exscan 3D Laser Scanner Invention, ABC, November 2 2019