Panay power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of the The Philippines and coal|
Panay power station is a 314-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Iloilo Province, Philippines.
The map below shows the location of the plant, in Ingore Barangay, La Paz District, Iloilo City, Iloilo Province.
Background on Units 1 & 2
The first two units, each 82 MW, of the Panay power station were completed in 2010 and 2011. The facility is owned by Panay Energy Development Corp. (PEDC), a subsidiary of Global Business Power Corp of GT Capital Holdings, in Iloilo City, the Philippines. The plant was completed in 2010-11.
Details on Unit 3 expansion
PEDC began construction of a 150 MW coal plant expansion of the station in October 2013. The construction cost of the power plant is estimated to reach P6.199 billion. The company plans for the plant to be completed in 2016. The construction project was turned over to Formosa Heavy Industries in June 2014. Construction is slated to be completed in August 2016, and is expected to cost P15.6 billion, or $350 million.
Project details for Unit 3 expansion
- Sponsor: Panay Energy Development Corporation (subsidiary of Global Business Power Corp.)
- Parent company: GT Capital Holdings
- Location: Ingore Barangay, La Paz District, Iloilo City, Iloilo Province, Philippines
- Coordinates: 10.72444, 122.59582
- Status: Operating
- Gross Capacity: 150 MW
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- In service: 2016
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
In August 2017 the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) announced that it would sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Panay Energy Development Corporation (PEDC) to monitor the health of people living near the plant, some of whom were reportedly suffering from scabies and lung diseases.
Articles and resources
- "Coal-Fired Power Plants in the Philippines," Industcards, accessed Jan 2016
- "Panay Energy starts Iloilo power project in October," Business Mirror, Aug 21, 2013.
- Private Sector Initiated Power Projects (Visayas), Philippines Department of Energy, 30 Sept. 2014.
- Velasco, Ed. Panay Energy Sets Up Coal-Fired Powered Plant. Daily Tribune, 13 Mar. 2014.
- Tara Yap, "Panay coal plant set to operate in August," Manila Bulletin, January 3, 2016
- "Panay power firm synchronizes 3rd power plant to the Visayas grid," Sun Star, September 2, 2016
- 150-mW coal power plant in Iloilo inaugurated, The Freeman, 29 Nov. 2016.
- Coal plants in Iloilo emit toxic pollutants?, IMT News, Aug. 21, 2017