Pivdennodonbaska 1 Coal Mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Pivdennodonbaska 1 Coal Mine (also known as the Yuzhnodonskaya 1 Coal Mine) is an operating underground coal mine in Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine.
The map below shows the location of the mine, near Vuhledar, in Volnovakha Raion, Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine.
The Pivdennodonbaska 1 coal mine is an underground coal mine. It is operated by State Coal Company of Ukraine, a state-owned company.
As of March 2020, the state-owned company running the mine was bankrupt, and was being threatened with electricity disconnection by Ukrenergo, the state-owned power company. The mine had not paid its power bills in years, and had only paid miners' salaries intermittently. If the mine's power were cut off, however, water pumps would stop working, and both the mine and the neighboring Pivdennodonbaska 3 Coal Mine would be flooded within a few days — resulting in an environmental catastrophe, as the groundwater for surrounding towns would be contaminated with iron and chemicals from the mine.
- Owner: State Coal Company of Ukraine (Держвуглепостач і Вугілля України)
- Parent Company: state-owned
- Location: Vuhledar, Volnovakha Raion, Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine
- GPS Coordinates: 47.791167, 37.289284 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 0.48 MT/year (2018) 
- Total Reserves:
- Recoverable Reserves:
- Coal type:
- Mine Type:
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Шахта «Південнодонбаська № 1», Wikipedia (Ukrainian), accessed Mar. 2021.
- Oksana Rasulova, «Зупиняться шахти ― зупиниться все місто». Як борги за електрику загрожують зруйнувати життя Вугледара, Hromadske, 2 Mar. 2020.
- Шахта «Южнодонбасская» №1, MiningWiki.ru, accessed Apr. 2021.
- Business Censor, "DTEK will disconnect from power supply the Yuzhnodonbasskoye No. 1 mine administration for debts", Accessed May 2021