Pointe LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Pointe LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG terminal in Louisiana, United States.
Mile 46 in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, United States.
- Owner: Pointe LNG
- Location: Mile 46, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, United States
- Coordinates: 29.859605, -89.991638 (approximate)
- Type: Export
- Trains: 3
- Capacity: 6 mtpa, 0.86 bcfd (2 mtpa per train)
- Status: Proposed, pre-FID
- Cost: US$4 billion
- Financing: Whitehall & Co. is financial adviser
- Start Year: 2026
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Pointe LNG has chosen a 600-acre site on the East bank of the Mississippi River (Left Descending Bank) at Mile Mark 46, in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. It will include oversized storage tanks and dock for possible future growth, as well as a pipeline, and a liquefaction plant. The Anticipated costs for 6 mtpa is estimated at US$535 per ton. The project is expected to be supplied by Kinder Morgan's existing Tennessee Gas Pipeline and Southern Natural Gas (SNG) Pipeline.
In February of 2019, FERC issued a Notice of Intent to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). As of June 2020, the project remains in the prefiling phase with FERC. A final investment decision is projected to take place in 2022, following which the terminal would potentially be operational by 2026.
In December 2020, Pointe LNG disclosed that it had a letter of intent from a customer to buy 1.5 million tons of LNG per year. The company declined to disclose the buyer, citing a confidentiality agreement.
In May 2020, Pointe LNG hired Whitehall & Co. as financial adviser, tasked with raising US$4 billion from investors for the project's realisation. An initial US$56 million of development capital is to be raised from investors by the third quarter of 2020. Whitehall & Co. has also been tasked with securing offtake agreements for the project. By the end of 2020, Pointe LNG said it had received letters of intent for 45% of the project equity. As of May 2021, there were no reported finance developments concerning the project.
Articles and resources
- "Terminal" Pointe LNG, accessed April 2019
- Liquefaction Project Details Point LNG, accessed April 14, 2021
- Kristen Mosbrucker,"Pointe LNG in Plaquemines Parish hires firm to raise $4 billion from investors", The Advocate, May 26, 2020
- Shravan Bhat, "LNG developer launches capital raise" IJGlobal, May 18, 20200
- "News" Pointe LNG, accessed July 17, 2019
- Kristen Mosbrucker,"New Orleans LNG business pushes back project to mid-2021; sees interest for equity stakes", The Advocate, Dec. 22, 2020