Port of Szczecin-Swinoujscie
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Poland and coal.|
The Port of Szczecin-Swinoujscie is a seaport located on the southern coast of the Baltic Sea, in Poland's extreme Northwest. The port consists of two complementary facilities: the Swinoujscie port located directly on the Baltic Sea, and the Szczecin port located 68 km inland. The Port of Szczecin-Swinoujscie is a major hub for coal moving into and out of Poland.
The two maps below show the location of the two complementary facilities. The top map shows the coal terminal at the northern Swinoujscie port, adjacent to the Baltic Sea. The bottom map shows the bulk cargo terminal at the southern Swinoujscie port, connected to the Swinoujscie port via canals and lakes.
The Port of Szczecin-Swinoujscie began modern operations in the mid-20th century, with the first coal terminal undergoing construction from 1964-1973. The port was originally managed by a state-run entity, but was privatized in the 1990s. The Swinoujscie port has facilities for handling large ocean-going cargo ships, whereas the Szczecin port allows smaller vessels to access the cheapest sea route inland. Travel time between Swinoujscie and Szczecin via water takes approximately 4 hours.
In 2020, the Port of Szczecin-Swinoujscie handled approximately 31 million tonnes of bulk cargo, including 2.5 million tonnes of coal. 2008 and 2011 were the biggest years for coal processing at the Port of Szczecin-Swinoujscie, with 5.5 million tonnes handled in 2008 and 5.4 million tonnes handled in 2011.
- Operator: Szczecin and Swinoujscie Seaports Authority SA
- Annual Capacity (Tonnes): 33 million
- Status: Operating
- Sources of coal: Poland (exports)
- Calendar, Szczecin and Swinoujscie Seaports Authority SA, Accessed Sep. 6, 2021
- General Information, Baltic Ports Organization, Accessed Sep. 6, 2021
- Przeładunki na nabrzeżach ZMPSiŚ za grudzień i dwanaście miesięcy 2020, Szczecin and Swinoujscie Seaports Authority SA, Accessed Sep. 6, 2021
- Obroty w granicach portów w Szczecinie i w Świnoujściu według grup towarowych, Szczecin and Swinoujscie Seaports Authority SA, Accessed Sep. 6, 2021
- Obroty w granicach administracyjnych portów w Szczecinie i w Świnoujściu według grup towarowych za grudzień i 12 miesisięcy 2012 r., Szczecin and Swinoujscie Seaports Authority SA, Accessed Sep. 6, 2021