Puerto Nuevo coal terminal
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Colombia and coal.|
The Puerto Nuevo coal terminal is a coal export port located on the Caribbean coast near Ciénaga, Magdalena department, Colombia. The port is owned and operated by Prodeco, a division of Glencore International, to export coal from its Colombian mining operations.
Puerto Nuevo is the dedicated coal export port for the Prodeco Group, Colombia's third largest coal exporter. Prodeco is a division of Glencore plc, which specializes in exploration, production, transportation and shipping of high-grade thermal and metallurgical coal. 
Construction of the US$550 million port began in 2010 and was completed in May 2013. Opened in 2013 and operating under the official name Sociedad Portuaria Puerto Nuevo S.A., the port had an annual export capacity of approximately 21 million tonnes, with markets in Europe, the Americas and Asia.The port's facilities allow direct loading of coal onto ships via covered conveyor belts, in compliance with Decree 3083 of Colombia's environmental protection authority, which took effect on January 1, 2014.
According to Coal Age magazine, "Puerto Nuevo also offers an unloading station for trains with an 8,000 mt per hour (mtph) capacity, a storage yard with 1.1 million mt capacity, 7 km of covered conveyor belts that can transport 8,000 mtph, supported by a buffer silo with 2,500 mt capacity, and a 1.7 km access pier open to cape-size vessels." The coal exported from Puerto Nuevo is mined at Prodeco's Calenturitas and La Jagua open-pit mines in Colombia's Cesar department, then transported to the port via a railway operated by Fenoco, a separate company in which Prodeco owns a 40% share.
The port can load vessels between 30,000 and 182,500 DWT (Dead Weight Tons) and is capable of handling 25.7 million tons of coals per year as of 2021.
- Operator: Prodeco Group
- Location: near Ciénaga, Magdalena department, Colombia
- Annual Capacity (Tonnes): 25.7 million
- Status: Operating
- Type: Exports
- Coal source: Calenturitas and La Jagua mines, Colombia
Articles and resources
- "Prodeco Group", Prodeco website, accessed January 2015.
- "Sociedad Portuaria Puerto Nuevo S.A.", Prodeco website, accessed January 2015.
- "Glencore's Colombia unit opens 21 million tonne coal port", Reuters, May 29, 2013.
- "Colombian 2015 thermal coal exports rise 7.6% on year to 80.64 million mt" Platts, Jan 11, 2016
- "Colombian thermal coal exports rise 9% in 2016 to record 88 mil mt" Platts, Jan 17, 2017
- "Prodeco Commissions Puerto Nuevo Coal Terminal", Coal Age, May 31, 2013.
- "Puerto Nuevo :: Who we are". www.puertonuevo.com.co. Retrieved 2021-07-21.