Rockcastle Mine No. 1
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
Rockcastle Mine No. 1 is a proposed U.S. surface coal mine in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, owned by Cahaba Resources.
The below map shows the approximate location for the Rockcastle mine in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama.
The Rockcastle 1 mine site is located near the southern boundary of the Warrior Basin. The coal seams to be mined at this site by Cahaba Resources, LLC are the New Castle, Mary Lee, Blue Creek, Jagger, and Black Creek Seams. A majority of the permit area has been previously mined by pre-law surface mining activities. There are also abandoned underground mines within the Blue Creek and Jagger seams, including the Yolande Coal and Coke Company's No. 2 Mine, the Thomas Furnace Company's Weller Mine, and New Connellsville Coal and Coke Company's Connellsville Mine (which lay below portions of the permit area in the Blue Creek Coal Seam) and Yolande Coal and Coke Company's No. 3 Mine (which lays below portions of the permit area in the Jagger Coal Seam).
According to the Alabama Surface Mining Commission's (ASMC) permit applications website, Cahaba filed a new permit application for the mine on August 8, 2019. It is currently under review.
- Parent Company: Cahaba Resources LLC
- Location: Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 33.3177681, -87.4766097 (approximate)
- Status Proposed
- Production Capacity:
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type:
- Mine Size: 206 acres
- Mine Type: Surface
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Surface Mining Permit Application Attachment II-E: Geology Alabama Surface Mining Commission, accessed November 2019.
- Permit Applications on File with ASMC Alabama Surface Mining Commission, accessed November 2019.