Route 3 Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Route 3 Gas Pipeline, also known by its Portuguese name Gasoduto Rota 3, is a proposed natural gas pipeline off the Atlantic coast of southeastern Brazil.
The pipeline originates in the Lula pre-salt oil and natural gas field in the Santos Basin off Brazil's southeastern coast, running offshore for 307 km, reaching the coastline at Jaconé Beach, and continuing inland 48 km through the cities of Maricá e Itaboraí to the GasLub (formerly Comperj) Natural Gas Processing Unit in Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil.
- Operator: Petrobras
- Parent Company: Petrobras (100%)
- Proposed capacity: 635.66 MMcf/d (18 million cubic meters per day)
- Length: 221 miles / 355 km
- Status: Construction
- Start Year: 2022
The pipeline will cost an estimated R $ 265.5 million and is scheduled for completion in July 2020. Brazil's environmental agency IBAMA issued an environmental permit for the 297 km deep water section of the pipeline in July 2016. Work on this section began in October 2016 and was finished in February 2018. In August 2018 IBAMA issued a separate permit for the remaining sections of the pipeline (10 km offshore along the continental shelf and 48 km onshore). Work on this section began in January 2019 and was scheduled for completion in July 2020.
In April 2020, Petrobras temporarily suspended work on the Route 3 pipeline due to concerns about workers' safety during Brazil's growing outbreak of coronavirus.
In August 2020, the director of the consortium responsible for the pipeline's onshore segment reported that the project was practically finished, and that commercial operations would likely begin in 2021 pending completion of the associated GasLub Natural Gas Processing Unit in Itaboraí. Petrobras reported that tests on the GasLub unit were underway as of November 2020 and the project was proceeding on schedule for an anticipated 2021 commissioning date.
As of December 2020, the pipeline was expected to begin operations in either the fourth quarter of 2021 or the first quarter of 2022.
Articles and resources
- INSTALLATION OF ROUTE 3 GAS PIPELINE UNDERWAY, Brazil Energy Insight, Mar. 15, 2019
- "Offshore Routes 1, 2 and 3 to go public". Brazil Energy Insight. September 13, 2019.
- "Rota 3". Comunicação Bacia de Santos. Retrieved 2020-06-20.
- Brazil Petrobras receives binding offers for three more refineries, Independent Commodities Intelligence Services, December 1, 2020
- "Petrobras paralisa obras no complexo petroquímico do Rio e no gasoduto Rota 3". Radioagência Nacional (in português). April 17, 2020.
- "OBRAS DO ROTA 3 ENTRAM EM FASE FINAL E CONLESTE VIVE EXPECTATIVA PELA NOVA LEI DO GÁS". PetroNotícias. August 24, 2020.
- "Petrobras performs tests on the GasLub torch system". Gas Processing News. Retrieved 2020-12-17.