Tepor Macaé LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Tepor Macaé LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG terminal in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The proposed terminal will be located within the Tepor Macaé port complex, northeast of the city of Macaé, Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil.
- Sponsor: Tepor Macaé (Terminal Portuário de Macaé)
- Owner: TEPOR - Terminal Portuário de Macaé Ltda
- Location: Macaé, Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil
- Coordinates: -22.323277, -41.723130 (approximate)
- Capacity: 21 MMcm/d
- Status: Proposed
- Type: Import
- Start Year:
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
The proposed Tepor Macaé terminal is part of the massive new Terminal Portuário de Macaé port complex under development by Grupo EBTE Engenharia. The Tepor port project obtained its preliminary license from Rio de Janeiro's state environmental agency INEA (Instituto Estadual do Ambiente) in November 2019. Plans call for a multi-use port that will provide a variety of oil and gas processing, storage and transport services, including an LNG terminal comprising an FSRU (floating supply and regasification unit) with a capacity of 21 MMcm per day and an area reserved for LNG storage tanks. Construction of the new port complex is expected to begin in 2021. Potential customers for the LNG terminal include eight gas-fired power plants in the Macaé area: EDF's existing 827 MW Norte Fluminense power station, the 565 MW Marlim Azul power station currently under development by Pátria Investments, Shell and Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, the Vale Azul II and Vale Azul III power stations, both already licensed with a total capacity of 1240 MW, and the proposed Lito 1, Lito 2, Lito 3, and Lito 4 power stations, with a combined capacity of 5275 MW.
Articles and resources
- "Terminais de GNL no Brasil (pp 24-25)" (PDF). EPE (Empresa de Pesquisa Energética). October 2020.
- "Terminais de Regaseificação de GNL no Brasil: Panorama dos Principais Projetos (pp 23-24)" (PDF). EPE (Empresa de Pesquisa Energética). August 30, 2019.
- "Informações do Licenciamento: TEPOR Terminal Portuário de Macaé Ltda". INEA (Instituto Estadual do Ambiente). November 5, 2019.
- "Tepor Macaé requer licença ambiental ao INEA". O Debate - Diário de Macaé. October 14, 2020.
- "Tepor Macaé: Adiado o início das obras para início de 2021". O Debate - Diário de Macaé. May 16, 2020.
- "Brazil prepares for a new phase of investments in LNG terminals". LNG Latin America and the Caribbean. Retrieved 2021-04-24.