Trombay Coal Terminal
Trombay Coal Terminal (also referred to as Trombay coal berth) is a dedicated coal unloading facility for Tata Power's 1580 megawatt Trombay Power Station. The terminal is located in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Trombay Power Station was established in 1956 to provide power to the city of Mumbai. Unit 6 was operational in 1990 and runs on fuel oil. Tata Power has said the rising cost of fuel oil has led the company to propose conversion to imported coal.
As of late 2012 the terminal has a capacity of approximately 2.4 million tonnes of coal for the existing coal-fired units at the power station. Tata Power has proposed that the capacity of the be expanded to 4.4 million tonnes a year and an additional coal storage area be built as a part of converting the existing oil/gas-fired 500 MW Unit 6 to coal. (For more detail on the proposed upgrade see Trombay Power Station Proposed Conversion of Unit 6 to coal-fired).
- Sponsor: Tata Power
- Location: Trombay suburb, Mumbai city, Maharashtra state, India
- Existing Capacity (Tonnes per annum): 2.4 million
- Additional Proposed Capacity: 2 million
- Status: Proposed expansion
- Type: Imports
- Projected in service:
- Cost of expansion:
- Financing for expansion:
- Coal Source:
Resources and articles
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Tata Power, "The Proposed Modernisation of Existing Unit # 6 (500 MW) by change of fuel at Trombay Thermal Power Station", Draft Environment Impact Assessment Report, October 2012.
- Tata Power, "The Proposed Modernisation of Existing Unit # 6 (500 MW) by change of fuel at Trombay Thermal Power Station", Draft Environment Impact Assessment Report, October 2012, page 4.
- "Enhancing coal handling capacity, installation of coal conveyor, stack yard and FDG disposal at Trombay Thermal Power Station, Maharashtra by MIs Tata Power Company Ltd. - CRZ Clearance," Government of India Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change, May 12, 2015
- "MoEF grants nod under CRZ Notification to Tata Power's Trombay unit," Business Standard, May 22, 2015