Tucker Run Mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
Tucker Run Mine is a proposed U.S. coal mine near Grafton, West Virginia. It is owned by Arch Coal.
As of November 2019, the project has not progressed in more than four years and appears to be cancelled.
The below map shows the approximate location for the proposed mine near Grafton, West Virginia.
The proposed Tucker Run site sits northwest of the Tygart Valley No. 1 mine (renamed Leer Mine), and north of another proposed Arch Coal project—the Shelby Run Mine—in Taylor County, West Virginia.
Shelby Run Mining Co. LLC, a new unit of Arch Coal, applied for a permit on the new Tucker Run room-and-pillar mine on August 31, 2012 at the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection. It is one (potential) piece of the Leer Mining Complex, a metallurgical coal mine complex in Taylor County. The application for Tucker Run covers a room-and-pillar job in the Lower Kittanning seam, located near Grafton. The application also covers a loading facility and 33 surface acres for support facilities for the deep mine. Arch Coal acquired this property in a June 2011 buy of International Coal Group.
According to a May 2013 article in The Exponent Telegram newspaper, the Tucker Run mine was slated for construction within a couple of years at a cost of $80 million to $100 million. It was estimated to employ 120-140 people.
- Sponsor: Shelby Run Mining Co. LLC
- Parent Company: Arch Coal
- Location: Taylor County, Wyoming, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 39.3715812, -80.0941679 (approximate)
- Status Cancelled
- Production Capacity:
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type:
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "Arch Coal seeks permit for third mine in W.VA complex" Transmission Hub, Sept. 12, 2012.
- "Longwall mining system set to begin at Taylor mine in October" The Exponent Telegram, May 18, 2013.
- Tucker Run SMA Application: Pending Application Details Transmission Hub, accessed November 2019.