Velilla del Río Carrión power station
Velilla del Río Carrión power station is a retired 516-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Montaña Palentina, Palencia, the province of Castilla y León, Spain.
The map below shows the location of the power station in Montaña Palentina, Palencia, the province of Castilla y León, Spain.
The Velilla del Río Carrión power station was originally commissioned in 1964 to take advantage of the nearby Palencia mining basin, which encompassed the Sabero, Guardo, and La Pernía mines. However, in the 1990s, the plant began using imported coal, which arrived through the Port of Santander and the Musel of Gijón; fuel and gas were also used as backup fuel. Water to cool the plant is sourced from the Carrion River.
In 2008, a desulfurization unit was added to Unit 2 of the plant; yet in 2009, the plant still emitted 928,000 tonnes of CO2.
In November 2017, Iberdrola, the operator/sponsor of the plant, requested permission from the government to close of the plant due to rising costs and decreased profitability. On November 18, 2017, three thousand people protested the closure in Velilla's main square, afraid it would lead to loss of jobs.
To replace the Velilla plant, Iberdrola announced it would develop over 1,800 MW of wind and photovoltaic power, representing an investment of over 1,300 million Euros. In Velilla, it will build a solar photovoltaic complex with a capacity of 400 MW, representing an investment of 300 million euros and creating around 4,000 jobs.
- Sponsor: Iberdrola SA
- Parent company: Iberdrola
- Location: Montaña Palentina, Palencia, the province of Castilla y León, Spain
- Coordinates: 42.8185, -4.8547 (exact)
- Coal type: Anthracite/bituminous
- Coal source: Imported
- Gross generating capacity (retired): 516 MW
- Unit 1: Coal-fired subcritical, 155 MW (start-up in 1964)
- Unit 2: Coal-fired subcritical, 361 MW (start-up in 1984)
Articles and Resources
- "Velilla (Guarda) Coal Power Plant Spain - GEO". globalenergyobservatory.org. Retrieved 2021-07-13.
- "Central térmica de Velilla - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre". es.wikipedia.org (in español). Retrieved 2021-07-13.
- Planelles, Manuel (2020-06-29). "España desconecta siete centrales térmicas y arranca el proceso para enterrar el carbón". EL PAÍS (in español). Retrieved 2021-07-13.
- "Iberdrola acelera sus inversiones en renovables en Castilla y León para la transformación verde de la comarca de Velilla". Iberdrola (in español). Retrieved 2021-07-13.