Verkhneteshsky coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Verkhneteshsky coal mine (Верхнетешский разрез) is a proposed surface coal mine in Kemerovo Region, Russia.
The image below shows the exact location of the mine site, near Kaltan, in Novokuznetsky District, Kemerovo Oblast, Russia.
The Verkhneteshsky coal mine is a proposed surface operation, the license is owned by SibAnthracite Kuzbass. SibAnthracite was acquired by A-Property in 2020.
The mine is designed to produce 5 million tonnes per annum. A full range of exploration work has been completed at the proposed mine site, according to the Russian 'Programme for Coal Industry Development up to 2035' from 2020. The start of the operations was planned already in 2020, according to the Programme.
Public hearing was conducted in 2019 where more than 200 residents were present and expressed their concerns about the proximity of the mine to the settlements and destruction of the flora in the area. Despite their concerns, the project was 'given a green light'. 
In July 2021, the project received an approval from the Federal review service 'Glavgosekspertiza'. However there are no news on the project's construction since then.
In September 2022, the governor of Kuzbass said that new mine projects are on hold due to infrastructure restrictions of coal exports through the Eastern route of Russian Railways, only the projects that are nearing completion are being finished.
- Operator: SibAnthracite Kuzbass
- Owner: A-Property
- Location: 15km east of Kaltan, in Novokuznetsky District, Kemerovo Oblast, Russia
- GPS Coordinates: 53.99405, 87.5930121 (exact)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 5 mtpa
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 79 million tons
- Coal type: Anthracite
- Mine Type: Surface
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- Участок "Верхнетешский", Wikimapia, accessed Mar. 2021.
- "A-Property acquires Sibanthracite". thecoalhub.com. 2020.
- "Программа Развития Угольной промышленности до 2035 года". government.ru. 13 June 2020.
- SibAnthracite, Kemerovskaya Oblast, Company Website, accessed to 2021 through the Wayback machine
- "Новый разрез в Кузбассе! Жители Новокузнецкого района и Осинников были против". bezformata.com. 15 July 2021.
- "На Кузбассе приступают к разработке нового угольного разреза". gge.ru. 16 July 2021.
- ""В Кузбассе временно приостановили реализацию крупных инвестпроектов в сфере добычи угля"". tass.ru. 8 September 2022.