Yuzhnaya coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Yuzhnaya Coal Mine is a underground mine in Kemerovo Oblast, Russia.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine, near Beryozovsky, in Kemerovsky District, Kemerovo Oblast, Russia. The mine is an underground mine, and is surrounded by the Chernigovets surface mine, with which it shares processing facilities.
SDS UGOL operates the mine, which is owned by Siberian Business Union-Coal. The mine originally opened in 1941, but mining ceased in 1996, and the mine was put on cold storage in 2003. The mine was then reopened, with new technology, in 2009. It is part of the branch of JSC "Chernigovets". The mine uses long wall underground techniques. 
The mine is situated beside the now defunct village of Kazas, the former home of the indigenous Shor people. According to the Business and Human Rights resources centre the village is now surrounded by open cast and underground mining operations, including the Yuzhnaya mine, and all bar one of the houses in the hamlet have been destroyed or burned down. The villagers' access to ancestral burial grounds is severely impeded by mines and their primary place of worship, a mountain named Karagai-Nash, has been extremely altered by mining activity. No compensation has been offered and many of the villagers have since been reported as being entirely without housing. 
- Operator: SDS UGOL 
- Owner: Siberian Business Union-Coal
- Location: near Beryozovsky, in Kemerovsky District, Kemerovo Oblast, Russia
- Coordinates: 55.60060447, 86.09720437 (Exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production: 3 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa)
- Total Reserves: 94.365 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal Type: BITUMINOUS (Met)
- Mine Type: UNDERGROUND (Longwall)
- Start Year: 1941/2009 
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- OJSC Kuzbassghiproshakht, "Yuzhnaya Coal Mine", Kuzbassghiproshakht website, Accessed March 2021
- Шахта «Южная» (Берёзовский), MiningWiki.ru, accessed Apr. 2021.
- SDS Ugol, "Yuzhnaya", SDS Ugol website, Accessed March 2021
- Business and Human Rights Resource Centre (BHRRC), "Discrimination against Shor communities in Myski municipal district, Kemerovo Oblast, Russian Federation", BHRRC website, Accessed March 2021
- AK&M Information Agency, "Anzherskaya-Yuzhnaya mine to be reconstructed for development of promising coking coal reserves", AK&M website, Accessed March 2021