Bangladesh Bay Terminal
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
Bay Terminal is a proposed terminal in Chittagong, Bangladesh. The new terminal is proposed to handle coal, among other commodities.
The Bay terminal has been proposed on a 1,200 acre island in the Bay of Bengal off the coast of Patenga in the city’s Halishahar Ananda Bazar area. It is near the Chittagong Port and Chittagong Export Processing Zone, shown in the map below.
The Bay Terminal has been proposed to deal with capacity limits at the nearby Chittagong Port. The maximum draft of Chittagong Port is 9.2 meters, requiring smaller ships be used to transport cargo to and from big ocean freighters that are anchored in the bay. In response, the construction of a new port has been proposed near the Chittagong Port, dubbed the Bay Terminal. The Bay Terminal would not technically be a deep sea port – as its maximum draft would be up to 13 or 14 meters, rather than the 15 needed to be granted this designation – but it would allow for larger ships to come directly into port. As early as 2010, China was publicly invited to get on board with the project, and at one point the country pledged US$9 billion toward the endeavor.
The Bay Terminal would have two Dolphin jetties – one for handling coal to be imported for coal-fired plants in Bangladesh and the other for handling cement clinkers.
In 2017 it was disclosed at the 11th meeting of the Advisory Committee of Chittagong Port Authority (CPA) that the Bay Terminal was in the top priority list of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, with a proposed commissioning by 2021. According to the Bangladesh ministry, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has agreed to finance the project.
- Sponsor: Chittagong Port Authority
- Location: Patenga, Chittagong district, Chittagong division, Bangladesh
- Coal Capacity (Million tonnes per annum):
- Status: Proposed
- Start year: 2021
- Type: Imports
- Source of Coal:
- Source of financing: Asian Development Bank
Articles and resources
- "Bangladesh's Deep Sea Port Problem," The Diplomat, June 7, 2016
- "Chittagong Port Authority taken various projects to boost capacity of Chittagong Port," Focus, June 20, 2014
- "Bay terminal at Patenga in PM's priority list," CMA CGM, March 27, 2017
- "Govt to drop 5 projects," The Independent, Jan 9, 2017