|This article is part of the Global Coal Terminals Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Chittagong Port is the largest seaport in Bangladesh.
The port is managed by the Chittagong Port Authority (CPA) and imported cargo at the port includes coal, as well as iron materials, chemicals, and general cargo.
The Bangladesh Bay Terminal was proposed to address capacity limits at the Port.
The port is located by the estuary of the Karnaphuli River in Patenga, on the northeast curve of the Bay of Bengal, near the city of Chittagong.
The port handled 4,067,789 tonnes of coal imports in 2020.
Bangladesh Bay Terminal
The Bangladesh Bay Terminal was proposed to deal with capacity limits at the nearby Chittagong Port around 2010. The maximum draft of Chittagong Port is 9.2 meters, requiring smaller ships be used to transport cargo to and from big ocean freighters that are anchored in the bay. In response, the construction of a new port was proposed near the Port, dubbed the Bay Terminal. The Bay Terminal would not technically be a deep sea port – as its maximum draft would be up to 13 or 14 meters, rather than the 15 needed to be granted this designation – but it would allow larger ships to come directly to the terminal. In August 2021, the Bangladesh government set a target to make the new terminal operational by 2024.
- Owner: Chittagong Port Authority
- Location: Patenga, Chittagong district, Chittagong division, Bangladesh
- Coal Capacity: 23 million tonnes
- Status: Operating
- Start year: 1887
- Type: Imports
- Source of Coal: Indonesia
Articles and resources
- "Port of Chittagong," World Port Source, accessed May 2015
- "Deep sea port in Sonadia: A unique opportunity for Bangladesh," Daily Star, March 20, 2013
- "Where from will Bangladesh source coal for power generation?" Financial Express, February 18, 2012
- "Handling Statistics 2020," Chittagong Port Authority, P-01 Month & Commodity wise Cargo Handling of Chittagong Port in the Year 2020
- "Bangladesh's Deep Sea Port Problem," The Diplomat, June 7, 2016
- "Bangladesh sets target to build Bay Terminal by 2024," Container News, August 20, 2021