Barney Point Coal Terminal
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
Barney Point Coal Terminal was a coal export terminal at the Port of Gladstone in Queensland, Australia, with a capacity of 8 million tonnes a year. 
On 20 May 2016, GPC's Barney Point Terminal exported its final coal vessel and subsequently ceased coal operations at the terminal.
The coal export terminal was located at the Port of Gladstone in Queensland, Australia
- Owner: Gladstone Ports Corporation
- Location: Port of Gladstone, Gladstone, Queensland, Australia
- Annual Capacity (Tonnes): 8 million
- Start year: 1967
- Status: Retired (2016)
Barney Point Coal Terminal was established in the early 1960s as a joint venture with Mitsui of Japan to export coal from the Moura coal mine in Queensland. The newly-formed joint venture Thiess Peabody Mitsui was prepared to construct a private rail line from the Moura mine to Gladstone and work began on constructing a wharf. The facility was completed in 1967-1968 and the first shipment of coal (1,600t) departed on August 9, 1967, aboard MV Sangoh Maru. Gladstone Port Authority (GPA; now Gladstone Ports Corporation) purchased the facility, assuming full responsibility of its operations in November 1998.
In April 2010 it was announced that The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) authorized arrangements to transfer specified amounts of coal handling capacity from the Barney Point Coal Terminal to the proposed Wiggins Island Coal Terminal at the Port of Gladstone in Queensland. This was expected to facilitate the closure of Barney Point Coal Terminal, which has raised pollution concerns among residents of the area for a number of years. In July 2014, Queensland government sources confirmed that Barney Point would shut down in conjunction with the opening of the Wiggins Island Coal Terminal in 2015.
Articles and resources
- "Port of Gladstone Information Handbook 2011", Queensland Ports Corporation, March 2011, page 34.
- "Wiggins Island coal export terminal open for business," Business Daily, April 26, 2015
- "Barney Point Terminal Closure of Coal Operations," Gladstone Ports Corporation, accessed Jan 2018
- "Gladstone Port Corporation: Our History," Gladstone Port Corporation History, accessed July 13, 2011.
- "ACCC authorises arrangements to close problem coal terminal at Gladstone Port" FindLaw Australia, April 22, 2010.
- "Coal transport infrastructure development" Queensland Government Department of Transport and Main Roads website, accessed January 2015.
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Australia and coal
- Australian Coal Association
- Queensland and coal
- Wiggins Island Coal Terminal
- Port of Gladstone
- Coal terminals
- "Abbot Point", North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation website