Caofeidian Coal Terminal
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Caofeidian Coal Terminal is located at the deepwater Caofeidian Port in Hebei, China.
The terminal is located in Luannan county, Tangshan.
In April 2013 the terminal's capacity was expanded from 100 million to 150 million tonnes per annum. The port’s coal handling capacity is being expanded by another 50 million tonnes, to 200 million tonnes total per annum. The project, being carried out in three phases, is planned for completion by May 2018. The new terminal began operation in 2019.
In April 2017 Tangshan Port said it was canceling plans for two more coal terminals at the port totaling 100 million tonnes per annum due to weak demand. In 2017, the port's throughput reached 370 million tons.
In 2019, the port was reported as capable of handling 410 million tons of cargo per year, including 250 million tons of coal.
There were also plans to construct two more 50 million tonnes terminals at the port in 2019; this project was a proposed joint venture with the Datong Coal Mine Group and Caofeidian Port Group, a project worth three billion RMB. However, as of July 2021, there has been no news on this proposal since 2019.
- Operator: Qinhuangdao Port Co., a subsidiary of Hebei Port Group
- Location: Tangshan Municipality, Hebei province, China
- Existing Coal Capacity (Tonnes per year): 250 million
- Status: Expansion proposed
- Type: Exports (primarily) but also imports
- Coal source: Daqin rail line, expanding to include Inner Mongolian coal with completion of Mengji (Baotou-Caofeidian) line
- Cost of expansion: 3 billion RMB
- Financing for expansion: Datong Coal Mine Group and Caofeidian Port Group (joint venture)
Articles and resources
- Dave Gambrel, "China's Deep Water Ports," Coal Age, December 2012
- "Caofeidian Harbour District Coal Terminal Port | Oriental Sheet Piling". orientalsheetpiling.com. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- "Caofeidian 3rd phase coal terminal to kick off construction," China coal resources, Apr 24, 2014
- "China Caofeidian port expanding coal handling capacity_信德海事网-专业海事信息咨询服务平台". Xinde Marine News (in 中文). 2019-10-16. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- "Tangshan Port suspends coal terminal construction," Splash 247, Apr 6, 2017
- "PRESIDENT BATTULGA VISITS CAOFEIDIAN PORT IN HEBEI PROVINCE OF CHINA - President of Mongolia". Office of the President (Mongolia). 2019-04-29. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- Si, Katherine (2019-03-01). "JV to build specialised coal terminal at Caofeidian Port". Seatrade Maritime. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- "Qinhuangdao Port invests in coal terminal expansion". Lloyd's List. 2019-03-01. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- "Qinhuangdao Port Co., Ltd.," Hebei Port Group Co., Ltd, accessed June 2015