Category:Coal transport accidents
From Global Energy Monitor
|Date||Year||Location of accident (& link to article on accident)||Country||Ship name||Port of Departure||Destination||Load (tonnes)||Outcome of accident|
|February 12||1963||off the coast of Chincoteague, Virginia||United States||Marine Electric||Ship sank, crew of 36, 24 drowned, nine missing.|
|May 24||1966||Pandora Bank, Cape Reinga||New Zealand||MV Kaitawa||Westport||Portland, Whangarei||2682||Ship sank, 29 crew died|
|February 12||1983||Chincoteague, Virgina||United States||Marine Electric||Norfolk, Virgina||Somerset, Massachussetts||22500||Ship sank, 31 crew died|
|December 27||1983||Monagahela River, Pennsylvania||United States||Unnamed barge and tug||Morgantown, West Virgina||Duquesne Light Co, Pittsburgh||816||Barge sank when valve froze open, refloated|
|September 8||2000||off Portovesme, Sardinia||Italy||Eurobulker IV||12700||Ran aground, crew evacuated, sank October 2 |
|December 22||2001||150 km off the Azores island of Graciosa, Atlantic Ocean||Colombia||Christopher||Puerto Bolivar||Redcar, United Kingdom||160000||ship sank with loss of 27 crew.|
|June 8||2007||Nobbys Beach, Newcastle (Article)||Australia||Pasha Bulker||Newcastle||empty at time of accident||grounded on beach, salvaged, repaired and renamed MV Drake.|
|January 15||2008||Taiwan||unknown||Capsized, eight crew reported killed|
|April 3||2010||70km off Great Keppel Island, Australia (Article)||Australia||Shen Neng 1||Gladstone||China||65000||ran aground, minor oil spill, repaired and continued on journey|
|December 1||2010||near Rio Cordoba port||Colombia||Unknown - two barges||Rio Cordoba||3000||Two barges sank|
|August 3||2011||near Transylvania, Louisiana||United States||unnamed barge||unknown||barge sank after breaking free from tug.|
|August 4||2011||off the coast of Mumbai (Article)||India||MV Rak||Indonesia||Mumbai||60000||Sank, oil spill of up to 290 tones of fuel oil.|
|September 27||2011||Yangtze River, Wuhan City, Hubei Province||China||unnamed barge||4080||barge sank, salvaged, 11 crew rescued.|
|January 19||2012||Monongahela River, Pittsburgh.||United States||ING 5061||unknown||barge sank, another damaged and pinned against bridge. |
|August 16||2012||Sheikhbaria River||India||MV Marine 7||Mongla Port||Kolkata Port||400||Sank|
|December 4||2012||off the coast of Sile, Istanbul province, Turkey||Turkey||Volgo-Balt 199,||Russia||Antalya, Turkey||27||ship sank|
|December 9||2012||Westshore Terminals||Canada||Cape Apricot||Westshore Terminals||unknown||Coal ship destroyed 100 metres of coal conveyer system; under control of pilot.|
|January 13||2013||Puerto Drummond (Article)||Colombia||unnamed barge||Puerto Drummond||approx 2,000 tonnes||Barge threatened with sinking; company dumped coal overboard.|
|February 16||2013||off the coast of Pangasinan province||Philippines||M/V Harita Bauxite||Indonesia||China||ship sank, Reported that 1 crewman dies and 14 were missing.|
|March 24||2013||Mississippi River near Cape Girardeau, Missouri||United States||3 unnamed barges||unknown||313 laden coal barges break loose from tug, 3 damaged and partially sunk.|
|August 19||2013||off Richards Bay (Article)||South Africa||MV Smart||Richards Bay||China||127000||Ship sank. Crew rescued.|
|January 20||2014||Batanghari River, Jambi, Sumatra||Indonesia||Unnamed barge and tug||Barge and tug sank, 2 crew missing.|
|July 14||2014||Port Rupert, British Columbia (Article)||Canada||Amakusa Island||Port Rupert||80000||Grounded, ripped 2 metre hole in ourter hull, temporary repairs and continued.|
- "Coal Carrier Sinks", Kentucky New Era, February 12, 1963.
- Michael Cox, "Anger lingers over Kaitawa sinking", Waikata Times, October 24, 2010.
- "Coal ship which sank had patched hull", Observer Reporter, February 18, 1983.
- "Freak accident sinks coal barge", Observer Reporter, December 27, 1983.
- "Coal Carrier Sinks Off Sardinian Coast", Marine Link.com, October 4, 2000.
- "Accident Investigation: MV Christopher", Ministry of Communications and Works, Department of Merchant Shipping, Lemesos, approx 2003.
- Independent investigation into the grounding of the Panamanian registered bulk carrier Pasha Bulker on Nobbys Beach, Newcastle, New South Wales on 8 June 2007, Australian Transport Safety Bureau, May 23, 2008.
- "Shipwrecks Since 1833", Infoplease.
- Marine Safety Investigation Report - Preliminary, Australian Transport Safety Bureau, 3 May 2010
- Jackie Cowhig, Jonathan Saul, Henning Gloystein and Denise Luna, "Weather sinks Colombia coal barge, exports suffer", Reuters, December 17, 2010.
- "Part of Mississippi River closed after barge sinks in north Louisiana", Nola.com, August 4, 2011.
- "Ship carrying 60,000 tons of coal sinks off Mumbai", Asia One News, August 5, 2011.
- "Coal Carrier Accident Stops Shipping for Three Hours on Yangtze River in Wuhan", NTDTV.com, September 27, 2011.
- "Barges Break Loose Overnight On Mon River: All bridges have now reopened", CBS, January 19, 2012.
- Casey Conley, "Runaway coal barge sinks after tow strikes Pittsburgh bridge in high wind, swift current", Professional Mariner, April 24, 2012.
- "Coal-laden Indian vessel sinks near Mongla Port", Financial Express, August 16, 2012.
- "Four die, while 12 remain missing as cargo ship sinks near Turkey", RT, December 04, 2012.
- Gordon Hamilton and Tiffany Crawford, "Ship crashes into dock at Westshore Terminals, spilling coal into water", Vancouver Sun, December 9, 2012.
- Benjy Hansen-Bundy, "Caribbean coal spill coverup investigated", Colombia Reports, February 1, 2013.
- "1 dead, 14 missing in ship sinking off Pangasinan", Sun Star, February 17, 2013.
- Jen Baird, "Coal removed from barges that partially sank on Mississippi River", KFVS12, March 25, 2013.
- Lauren Rawlins, "Fears for habitat as ship left stranded", IOL News, August 20 2013.
- "Two missing after tugboat barge sink", Jakarta Post, January 22 2014.
- "Prince Rupert ship grounding highlights risk of oil spill, critics warn: Bulk carrier ripped hole in hull while moving to anchorage from terminal", Vancouver Sun, July 16, 2014.
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
Pages in category "Coal transport accidents"
The following 16 pages are in this category, out of 16 total.
- The grounding of the Amakusa Island ship in Prince Rupert harbour, British Columbia, Canada
- The grounding of the Paul R. Tregurtha ship in Duluth Harbour, Minnesota, United States
- The grounding of the Paul R. Tregurtha ship in St. Marys River, Michigan, United States
- The sinking of the MV Aij Gati near the Sundarbans, Bangladesh
- The sinking of the MV Rak off Mumbai, India
- The sinking of the Phu Cuong 0148 in Gulf of Tonkin, Vietnam