|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Center Mine is a surface coal mine near Center, North Dakota. The mine is owned and operated by BNI Coal Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of ALLETE. The mine supplies lignite coal to fuel the nearby Milton R. Young Station, Units I and II. Each year BNI Coal mines about 4.5 million tons of lignite.
- MSHA ID: 3200218
- Owner: BNI Coal Ltd.
- Parent company: ALLETE
- Location: Center, North Dakota
- GPS coordinates: 47.083098,-101.294289
- Production: 4,500,000 tons
- Type of coal: Lignite
- Mine type: Surface
- Equipment: Draglines
- Number of employees: 140
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- North Dakota and coal
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "BNI: Our History", BNI Coal website, November 2009.