Chumikan coal terminal
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Chumikan coal terminal is a proposed coal-handling facility near the village of Chumikan in Khabarovsk Krai, Russia.
The map below shows the approximate location where the terminal would be built, near the village of Chumikan, where on the Udskaya Bay of the Sea of Okhotsk,
At the end of 2020, A-Property acquired full ownership of the Elga coal complex and began exploring new infrastructure for exporting the coal to Asia. It initially considered constructing a coal terminal with a capacity of 30 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) at Dalniy Port, but postponed its plans after steep local opposition.
In the summer of 2021, reports emerged that A-Property planned to construct a coal terminal near the village of Chumikan on the Sea of Okhotsk, as well as a 500 km railroad connecting the Elga coal deposit to the terminal. Together, the two pieces of infrastructure would allow A-Property to export 30 mtpa of coal. The project was expected to cost US$2.5-3 billion, with work on the project beginning in 2024. Experts estimated that the project could pay for itself within ten years if at least 22.5 million tons are sent annually via the railroad and terminal.
According to experts, navigation conditions in Chumikan and its environs are the most difficult in the Khabarovsk Territory. Navigation begins only in late June - early July and lasts two to three months. The area is frequently clogged with ice and has very strong tides. As a result, there are currently no ports in the Chumikan area. A project spokesperson said that the port would be located approximately 25 km north of the village on a rocky outcropping, where the sea is deeper and more easily navigable.
- Owner: A-Property
- Location: Chumakin, Khabarovsk Krai, Russia
- Proposed Coal Capacity (Million tonnes per annum): 30
- Status: Proposed
- Type: Exports
- Source of Coal:
Articles and Resources
- https://www.eastrussia.ru/news/elgaugol-vzyala-kredit-v-123-mlrd-rubley-na-pogashenie-dolgov/, East Russia, Aug. 27, 2021
- Строители угольной империи, Expert, Nov. 8, 2021
- Хуснуллин поручил проработать проект частной ветки БАМа, East Russia, July 19, 2021
- Авдолян предложил за свой счет построить третью ветку БАМа Проект может обойтись в $2,5–3 млрд, RBC, July 13, 2021
- Где собрались строить угольный мегапорт в Хабаровском крае, узнал DVHAB.ru, DVHAB, July 29, 2021