JSW Dharamtar Port
Dharamtar Port, also known as JSW Dharamtar Port, is a port facility located 23 nautical miles southeast of Mumbai Harbor, along the Amba River in Dolvi, Raigad District, Maharashtra, India. Operated by JSW Infrastructure Ltd, the port has nine berths with a depth of 4.5 metres and the capacity to handle about 34 million tonnes per annum (mtpa). The port handles container transportation as well as bulk and break bulk transportation by road, sea and rail. Its primary purpose is to supply iron ore and coal for the JSW Steel Dolvi steel plant.
The port completed a capacity expansion from 8 mtpa to 34 mtpa in 2021.
The map below shows the Dharamtar Port along the Amba River in Maharashtra, India. The JSW Steel Dolvi steel plant can be seen southeast of the port, on the east bank of the Amba River.
In November 2011, India's Central Railway connected Dharamtar Port to its main rail network. Officials of the state-run Maharashtra State Power Generation Company (Mahagenco) said that the new rail link would facilitate imports through the port to supply the increased demand for imported coal at Mahagenco power plants such as Nasik Thermal Power Project and Bhusawal Thermal Power Station.
In November 2015, JSW received environmental clearance to expand the port's jetty from its current length of 331.5 meters to 1,750 meters. When completed, the new jetty will increase the port's cargo handling capacity to nearly 34 mtpa.
In January 2020, JSW had expanded the port's capacity to 16 mtpa. By September 2021, the expansion was completed, and the port now has 34 million tonnes of capacity. The expansion is intended to enable Dharamtar Port to serve the 30 mtpa cargo handling capacity required by the JSW Steel Dolvi steel plant after the plant expands its production capacity from 5 mtpa to 10 mtpa.
The Dharamtar Port handled 12.8 million tonnes of cargo in 2020.
- Operator: JSW Infrastructure Ltd
- Annual Capacity (Tonnes): 34 million
- Status: Operating
Articles and Resources
- "About Dharamtar Port" JSW Infrastructure website, accessed November 2021
- JSW Dharamtar Port Private Limited, Care Ratings, Sep. 2, 2021
- "Dharamtar rail link will help power generation in state" Mumbai Mirror, November 21, 2011.
- "JSW Dharamtar Port gets nod to expand jetty facility in Raigad" Business Standard, November 29, 2015.
- JSW Dharamtar Port Private Limited, Care Ratings, Jan. 28, 2020
- Annual Report 2020-21, JSW Infrastructure, 2021, p 70
- JSW Infrastructure Limited, Brickwork Ratings, Jan. 6, 2021