|This article is part of the Global Coal Terminals Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
Mokpo Port is in South Jeolla Province, South Korea.
Mokpo Port is in South Jeolla Province, South Korea. Situated on the tip of the Muan Peninsula, at the southwestern end of the Korean peninsula, it is the door to the Honam Plain, the largest granary in the country.
Coal handling and proposed expansion
The Port of Mokpo's Samhak Wharf contains four berths totaling 793 meters in length with total annual handling capacity for 1.4 million tonnes of grains, coal, and general cargoes. In 2014, a new coal handling terminal was reportedly under construction by CJ Group at the port, with an expected completion date of 2017.
The new terminal was expected to attract new quantities of coal cargo, which were previously avoided due to environmental pollution. In addition, the Samhak (or Samhakdo) terminal was expected to be transformed into tourist facilities such as a beach park and a performance hall.
In 2019, the outer port (Samhak Pier) – built in 1985 – was still handling coal but was expected to stop by 2020. It is unclear if coal activities were relocated to a new terminal or port, moved to the Gunsan Port, or something else.
The Port Master Plan (2021-2030) called for developing the Port as an economic hub by 2030. A 2020 article still referenced a need to convert from coal to miscellaneous goods ("신항 석탄부두 기능전환(석탄→잡화)").
The city published a public business recruitment notice for the "Mokpo Samhakdo Pyeonghwanuri Amusement Park Project" in May 2021.
- Operator: Mokpo Regional Maritime Affairs and Port Office
- Location: South Jeolla Province, South Korea
- Capacity: 1.4 million tonnes per annum
- Proposed Capacity: unknown, may not handle coal million tonnes per annum
- Status: Samhak Terminal may be retired (1985-2020); New coal terminal appears under construction
- Projected In Service: unknown
- Type: Imports
- Source of Coal: Canada, Australia
- Cost of Expansion: US$50 million
- Financing for Expansion:
Articles and resources
- "Mokpo," Port of Mokpo, accessed May 2015
- "CJ Group to invest 180 billion won in Gunsan and Mokpo area to boost domestic market," WhoWiredKorea, September 29, 2014
- "Mopko" - Samhak wharfs, Mopko, accessed October 2021
- "Samhak wharfs ," Mokpo, accessed October 2021
- "CJ, 군산·목포에 석탄하역 전용부두 구축…1800억 투자," Asiae, September 29, 2014
- "목포항 거점항만 육성 국고 반영 ‘올인’," kwangju, August 13, 2021
- "목포항 석탄부두 -- 역사속으로-R," YSMBC, January 11, 2019
- "목포항, 서남권 경제중심 항만으로 개발된다…10년간 8천억 투입," mk.co.kr, November 17, 2021
- "목포항 서남권 경제중심 항만으로 특화 개발된다," https://www.wikitree.co.kr/, November 17, 2021
- "목포 삼학도에 5성급 관광호텔 들어선다," kwangju, May 25, 2021.
- ["검은 목포바다, 삼학도 석탄부두,"] Mokpo Today, March 4, 2019
- "[국감목포 석탄부두 중금속 오염수, 바다로 그대로 흘러들었다,"] the 300, October 29, 2018