Tuncbilek coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
The Tuncbilek coal mine is an opencast mine complex, operated by West Lignite Enterprise (Garp Linyitleri İşletmesi Müessesesi Müdürlüğü), a subsidiary of the TKI, producing over 1 million tonnes per annum, in Tavsanli, Kutahya Province, Turkey.
Lignite mining in the district of Tunçbilek in the Kütahya province began in 1939, when he state-owned Etibank acquired the land for mining from a private owner. In 1940, Garp Linyitleri İşletmesi or GLİ was established as a subsidiary of Etibank to extract coal from Değirmisaz, Soma, Seyitomer and Tunçbilek. In 1957, GLİ was transferred from Etibank to TKI (Turkey Coal Enterprises) a state-owned coal company. In 1978, Soma mine was transferred to the Ege Linyitleri İşletmesi Müessesesi Müdürlüğü (Aegean Lignite Enterprise) or ELİ and in 1990 Seyitomer mine was transferred Seyitömer Linyitleri İşletmesi (Seyitömer Lignite Enterprise) or SLİ. The Değirmisaz mine was depleted in 1966. The Omerler coal mine Ömerler mine started production in 1985 in the Tunçbilek coalfield under GLİ. As such 1990 onwards, GLİ operated only in the Tunçbilek coalmine through two mines, the Tunçbilek mine which is a surface mine, and the Ömerler mine which is an underground mine.
80% of the production of GLİ is produced by Tunçbilek, whereas the remaining 20% is extracted through underground mining at Ömerler.
As of 2020, total reserves of GLİ were 62 million tons.
The map below shows the exact location of the Tuncbilek mine in Tavsanli, Kutahya Province, Turkey.
- Owner: Garp Linyitleri İşletmesi Müessesesi Müdürlüğü
- Parent company: TKI
- Location: Tavsanli, Kutahya Province, Turkey
- GPS coordinates: 39.634823, 29.455311 (exact)
- Mine status: operating
- Start year: 1939
- Coal type: Lignite
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Underground and surface
- Production: 1,136,714
- Reserves: 62 million tons
Articles and resources
- Philip M. Mobbs, "2010 Minerals Yearbook: Turkey", United States Geological Survey, April 2012, page 56.7
- "Kuruluş ve Tarihçe". GLİ. 2021. Retrieved June 21, 2021.
- Ermişoğlu, Necmettin; Yeşiltaş, AU; Özerdem, Sadık. "G.L.İ. Tunçbilek Bölgesi Ömerler Yeralti İşletmesinde Kendiliğinden Yanma Olaylari İle Mücadele Ve Alinan Önlemler" (PDF). Madencilik. Retrieved June 22, 2021.
- "Faaliyetler". GLİ. Retrieved June 21, 2021.
- (2021) 2020 Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri, 61. Report.
- (2020) 2019 Faaliyet Raporu . Türkiye Kömür İşletmeleri, 56. Report.