EECV Terminal

From Global Energy Monitor

EECV is a dry bulk cargo terminal that handles coal and iron ore, located at the Port of Rotterdam in the Netherlands. It is the second largest bulk cargo facility at the port, which in turn is the largest handler of coal imports in Europe.


The map below shows the location of the EECV Terminal at the Port of Rotterdam. The larger north section of the facility processes transshipments of iron ore, while the southern section is dedicated to coal.

Loading map...


The EECV Terminal began operating in 1967, initially handling only iron ore. It opened its coal-handling facilities in 2003.[1] EECV is owned by two German steelmaking companies, Thyssenkrupp Steel AG and Hüttenwerke Krupp Mannesmann Gmbh, and its cargo flows of iron ore and coal are both used for the steelmaking process.[2] The coal facility at the EECV Terminal has an annual capacity of 16 million tonnes per year. The terminal typically handles about 24 million tonnes of iron ore and about 8 million tonnes of coal per year.[3][4]

The EECV Terminal and the larger EMO Terminal provide the majority of the Port of Rotterdam's coal-handling capacity. 17.3 million tonnes of coal were handled in the port of Rotterdam in 2020, a 44% decline from the 30.7 million tonnes handled in 2015. Of all the coal that enters the port, around 10% remains in the Netherlands, where it is fired in power plants. The remaining 90% is destined for Germany. Some 60% of this coal is used by German steel industry; the other 40% is fired in the country’s power plants.[5]

Project Details

  • Owner: Thyssenkrupp Steel AG, Hüttenwerke Krupp Mannesmann Gmbh
  • Location: Port of Rotterdam, Netherlands
  • Coal Capacity (Million tonnes per annum): 16
  • Status: Operating
  • Type: Imports
  • Coal Source:

Articles and Resources


  1. Jelle Gunneweg, Overslagbedrijf EECV neemt extra maatregelen tegen stofoverlast Hoek van Holland, WOS, Oct. 15, 2020
  2. Wie Zijn Wij, EECV, Accessed Oct. 3, 2021
  3. Terminal Information Book, Version 3, EECV, May 14, 2020
  4. Terminal Information Book, Version 4, EECV
  5. Coal, Port of Rotterdam, Accessed Oct. 2021

Related articles