United States and coal
In 2007, the United States exported almost 60 million tons of coal. One industry analyst estimated that the amount would rise to 80-90 million tons in 2008 and 100 million tons in 2009. Through June of this 2008, producers sent 40.4 million tons overseas, a 57 percent increase over the same period in 2007.
In May 2011, Reuters reported that total U.S. coal exports could amount to around 100 million tons (91 million tons) in 2011, according to analysts, leaving only Australia and Indonesia above the U.S. in world coal export rankings, and putting the U.S. above Russia, Colombia and South Africa.
According to the U.S. Energy Information Agency, U.S. coal production totaled:
- 1.17 billion short tons in 2008;
- 1.074 billion tons in 2009;
- 1.084 billion tons in 2010; and
- 1.08 billion tons in 2011.
Articles and Resources
- Lee Buchsbaum, "New coal economics," EnergyBiz Insider, December 24, 2008
- Bruce Nichols, "Analysis: U.S. to be a top coal exporter again, thanks to Asia" Reuters, May 12, 2011.
- "Coal Production, 1949-2010" EIA, accessed January 2012.
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Global use and production of coal
- Australia and coal
- Britain and coal
- China and coal
- Colombia and coal
- Germany and coal
- India and coal
- Indonesia and coal
- Japan and coal
- New Zealand and coal
- South Africa and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Campus coal plants
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal and transmission
- Coal-fired power plant capacity and generation
- Coal moratorium
- Coal phase-out
- Coal plant conversion projects
- Coal plants near residential areas
- Comparative electrical generation costs
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- Global warming
- Google Renewable Energy Cheaper Than Coal initiative
- Gore zero-carbon proposal
- Opposition to existing coal plants
- International Energy Agency, "Coal in United States in 2005", International Energy Agency website, accessed June 2008.
- National Mining Association 1999-2004
- National Mining Association 2006 Coal Producer Survey • May 2007,
- Energy Information Administration, Major US Coal Mines data 2006: Next data update September 2008
- U.S. Geological Survey, Coal Combustion Products Statistics and Information Links to statistical reports 1996-2002 (now discontinued)
- "The Changing Structure of the Electric Power Industry 2000, An Update," U.S. Energy Information Administration, October 2000
- Current statistics, news items, documents and photos of coal mining in the US at CoalDiver
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|